Xy and the (Near) Future

To Ken Frank:

The prospect of a major XyWrite release before the end of the year is
very heartening. A few questions:

- What are the tangible benefits of a 32-bit architecture? Increased
speed? Greater stability? Or are you just positioning yourself internally,
so to speak, for a possible later release specific to Win95/NT?

- Is the command line maintained?

- What degree of document-file compatibility will there be with
earlier versions of XyWrite, including Xy4 and XyIII+? What degree of
customization-file compatibility?

- What provision will there be for import and *export* filters to/from
other WP formats?

- Is there any attempt to address the numerous complaints about hard-
to-read draft-view screen fonts? Any greater flexibility with regard
to screen colors? Or are these functions still relegated to Windows?

- Will there be a 36-window limit? If I recall correctly, you
once said the only real barrier to an unlimited number of windows was
nomenclature. Why not just number 'em? Don't get hung up on one-character
designations, to fit the func #1, #2 ... pattern. Just supplement those
funcs with a generic func JW (Jump_to_Window) with syntax analogous to
funcs JD, JM, BX et al. E.g. JW (1735001) opens (or "jumps" to) that
window. With random access to any legal window designation, of course.
Come to think of it, why not allow us to *name* windows? "Memo",
"article", "address list", 2001. With a Gowindow command analogous to
Gofile. With windows as objects that can be dragged to interesting places
with useful results. Don't tolerate arbitrary limits if you don't have to,
I say. It's a selling point.

- Speaking of selling, where in the marketplace do you plan to position
the new release? "You may use MS-Word or WPWin for ordinary work, but when
you need to ______________________, you need XyWrite". How would you fill
in the blank? What makes the upgrade stand out from the crowd?

- Where and how do you plan to publicize/advertise the new release?
How can we help?

I don't mean to quiz you (though, as a fellow lawyer, you'll understand the
penchant to ask questions). I join others on this list who are eager to
test the new product. Best of luck!

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx