Re: Using XyWrite file in Word... [and "Euro symbol"]

Robert Holmgren wrote:

Not real sure what you mean -- what's the CLIP vs. "importing as text"
distinction that you're making here?
By Clip I mean I define the block of text in Xy, use my
defined keys (CTRL-Shift C in my case) to invoke frame
Clip, then open Word or WordPerfect and hit Ctrl-V (the
Windows default for Paste from the Clipboard). By
importing as text I mean that I SAve the file to disk,
then run SA/RTF or Xy2WP to convert it to an RTF or wp
file, then open the resulting file in Word or
WordPerfect. The first method leaves the character as
cap C cedilla; the second converts it to the euro.

If I type "This is a Cedilla Ç" in XyWrite, then Copy it with CLIP, I get "This
is a Cedilla Ç" when I Paste that in Microsoft Word. XyW command line is
empty, so *CodePage conversion* occurs by default: "Ç" is char 128 in CodePage
850, and converted to char 199 in CodePage 1252.

SNIP
if you put, on the CMline, the current CodePage
number of XyWrite, the character *numbers* that you copy will be exactly
preserved (with the attendant danger that if you copy into an app in a
different CodePage, you may get very different characters than XyWrite
displayed). Power = Complexity.
So this is what's supposed to be happening? OK, I
misunderstood your original post about this a while
back. Clip puts in the SAME character (assuming you've
told it the Code Pages correctly) not the char with the
same number, right? Which is certainly what one would
normally want. Whereas the conversion filters seem to
operate on the char number (ASC) level. I think I'd
better dig out that humongous chart of characters and
ASC values in different apps that I was working on a
few years ago and finish it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Note that, on NT anyway, the underlying Unicode API is smart. It sometimes
seems to know on its own what CodePage the current app uses, and converts to
that CodePage automatically, overriding your CMline argument. This can happen,
e.g., on the DOS command line (I am not going to reboot right now, just to
determine whether that happens because I always explicitly use a CHCP argument
when I boot my Win2K machine). You need to experiment.
Right, will try this out on the W2K box at the office if I have time this week.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx