RE WYXIN: MOVING

XY-> :    Someone must know, for example, the VA code
 -> :    to determine whether a define is active.

XY-> Anyone knows who refers to Herb Tyson's "XyWrite Revealed" (p 392) or xyDos
 -> "Customization Guide" (p 228): {va$df}. If you own neither, your library may
 -> be able to get Tyson (ISBN 0-8306-8459-X or ISBN 0-8306-8459-2). I certainly
 -> can't speak for The Herb, but with The Book out of print I somehow doubt he
 -> object to anyone photocopying his va$, command, and function tables.
 -> --annie

Thanks a million, Annie! I can see where that book would be very,
very useful. Even so, I can see why the value isn't published in
the Xywrite manuals, because it would have to be able to show
three values for the state of a define, not two. (Perhaps they're
working on it?)

However, if one were willing to put up with a couple of
weaknesses, here's a better version of a program to put text on a
line (for all of us still with Xywrite 3+):

≪lb-define on a key≫≪sx55,≪va$df≫≫≪if(≪pv55≫==0)≫
≪gl-put≫≪ei≫≪gl-do≫

≪lb-do≫≪sv888≫XD ≪gl-put≫

≪lb-put≫GH ≪pv888≫≪ex≫

The weaknesses are (1) if there's no define, then the first time
the program is used *nothing* happens and (2) va$df doesn't
distinguish between a complete define and a partial define (both
equal 1)--it may not be a problem in the windows version though
but it isn't necessary either.

The strengths over the other version are that (1) the define goes
straight to a save-get and one doesn't have to worry about a
character being inadvertently printed in the SV alphanumeric-key
variation; (2) three-digit save-gets are retained in memory even
after the program executes and can be used in the 2d half of a
change operation; and (3) one precious save-get key less is used.

(I remember you have your alternative version, but this was the
easiest place to put a little program.)

--Chet

P.S. Does he list the VA for the value of a save-get?

---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx