RE: Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

>Peter Brown writes:
>One reason I haven't made the switch to Xy4 from Xy3.55
>is an annoyingly slow execution of ci commands.
>
>I have several programs that do repeated change invisibles, such
>as this snippet (from a routine for converting from Xy to
>QuarkXpress tags)
>
>[TF] [BC] ci //[XC]
>[BC] ci /@/<\@>/[XC]
>
>In Xy3.55 this goes like lightning. In Xy 4.017 (running in full screen
>mode on Win 95 on an HP Vectra VE) it's more like
>molasses: each line takes about 2 seconds to process--a lot of
>time when your programs contain 100 or so ci's.

That's strange indeed. I wonder whether something is wrong with your setup --
 CI commands have never been pokey here. On the contrary, they're
instantaneous (except in very large files, in which case they're extremely
fast). In other words, no difference from Xy3.

The first thing I'd do is force the display into eXPanded view (func XP)
before executing CI. Xy4 is optimized for speed in eXPanded view (unlike
XyWin, which runs faster in graphics view).

Next I'd change every instance of BC to BX and every corresponding XC to Q2.
Blind execution of commands works a dramatic speed increase in most programs.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, turn on Error Suppression at the
beginning of your routine: BX es 1Q2.

If this doesn't do it, some deeper diagnostic digging will be in order. Let
us know.

Carl Distefano
cldxtra@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/