Subject: Re: pdf2xy routine

Reply to numerous messages from Robert and Carl on this topic, with
profound, grovelling apologies. Robert, we were _this_ close (holds thumb
and forefinger a micro-millimeter apart) to the solution when I was
explaining my drive structure. Had I actually pulled up and looked at the
batch file I use, we'd have had it. But like an imbecile, I quoted from
memory, and so left out the crucial fact that said batch file sets the
path--and (at that point) omited to include c:\gs\gs8.15\bin. When Carl
suggested I issue P1 PATH. and I found no c:\gs\etc in the
path, but still got it listed if I typed PATH at a DOS prompt command
line, I actually looked at the batch file. Once the path was fixed,
pdf2xy ran like a charm.

I only hope this whole carfuffle has been instructive to others. Some
lessons to be learned:
1. If something doesn't work, the chances are 9,999 to 1 that it's
something skew-whiff in _your_ system and _not_ Carl's or Robert's code.
2. If you use a batch file to load XyWrite or run one before loading XyW,
check it.
3. Not directly relevant, but but something I'm more and more convinced
of, so I'll throw it in here: Set aside a few minutes every week to
explore U2. There are so many goodies lurking in there. I recently
discovered ABD (of enormous help in cleaning out a folder littered with
duplicative files), and now have been introduced to P1.

Carl, Robert, thank you. I deeply regret having troubled you with this,
the result of my own abject stupidity.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx