Re: dict.spl

Judith,
The PATH statement simply tells MS-DOS where to look for program files.
Your path statement will be different from mine or from Nick's because we
all have different programs. If you did all of your word processing in the
\XY4 directory, you wouldn't need to have it in your PATH statement,
because DOS always looks first in the directory where you're working. But
most of us have separate directories for our word processing files, and we
put \XY4 in the PATH statement so DOS can find the necessary
program-related files regardless what directory we're working in.
SUGGESTION: Go to a library and check out a copy of "Running MS-DOS" by Van
Wolverton. Wolverton used to update the book every time a new version of
DOS came out, but the essential chapters about how DOS commands work
generally applied to almost every version. Read the sections on
AUTOEXEC.BAT, on PATH statements, on ENVIRONMENT, etc. -- things that most
of the people on this list take for granted -- or switch to Windows and
forget about it.
Cheers,
Richard A. Sherer