Re: Windows 2000 question

Flash wrote:
Try switching off your antivirus software and then restarting Xy. Some av software checks literally everything before allowing any program to start or open files.
I doubt that's the problem; I run AVG free, and have no conflicts.
That's under W98Se, of course, but if that were keeping tabs on Xy,
I'd think it would do so under any opsys. (As far as I can see, it's a
very good AV: small, so the updates don't take forever over my
100-year-old, waterlogged phone lines).

 If that doesn't cure the problem, then switch off
AdAware SE instead. I shouldn't think SpyBot would be slowing down the system though.
My bet is AOL (an uttely lousy piece of garbage), but I doubt you CAN
remove it, short of a format and reinstall; the thing burrows deep
into the innerds of a system.
How are you launching? Opening a DOS prompt and calling a batch file?
Opening a DOS prompt and manually commanding
cd d:\xy4
editor
?
Or clicking on a shortcut on the desktop? The last is the way to go. If so, tell us what the various properties (right-click on the shortcut's icon to get them) of that shortcut are, esp. the memory ones.
You need to see what is loading at startup. I bet both Works and
Office are, and they are RAM hogs. In 9x, you can run MSCONFIG to
clean out the startup folder, but W2K doesn't have that helpful
utility. I see in the December 06 PC World a suggestion to try Mike
Lin's Startup Control Panel (find.pcworld.com/54975). Anyone know of a
better alternative?
I run Xy on the Win2K box at the office, and it loads and opens files
OK. There's a certain amount of jerkiness to keyboard response, as in
XP, which makes me think--still--that there's a hardware component to
that problem: this is a very new box, just got it a couple of months ago.
Brief task manager peaks to 100% when starting new processes (such as
task manager) are normal; no cause for alarm.

Thanks for that bit of info.
But get Process Explorer (free) at www.sysinternals.com; it's much better than Task Manager.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey