Re: Windows 2000 question

Have we determined that it is only Xy which is starting slowly?
You might check the event viewer, both system and application, for indications of 'hive lock', threads which won't terminate, processes which won't initiate, failed attempts to reconnect to network resources which do not exist, any reference to Xy-related processes, etc.
≪You need to see what is loading at startup. I bet both Works and
Office are, and they are RAM hogs. In 9x, you can run MSCONFIG to clean
out the startup folder, but W2K doesn't have that helpful utility. I
see in the December 06 PC World a suggestion to try Mike Lin's Startup
Control Panel (find.pcworld.com/54975). Anyone know of a better
alternative?≫

Clean it out manually, if necessary.