Re: downloading e-mail files

On Fri, 26 May 2000, [R. E. Stannard Jr.] wrote:

> I hope this isn't too off-topic, but are any of you wizards familiar with
> PINE, the free non-browser e-mail program invented by the University of
> Washington and a popular option around the world on university and other
> systems?
>
> My problem: finding a simple and fast way to copy my e-mail files
> (preferably whole batches) off my university server account directly into
> various xywrite-for-windows (ver.4.11) subdirectories on my hard-disk.

Are you using PINE on your PC to access mail on your
(presumably) Unix-based server? While PINE is my usual
mail tool in my Unix shell account, which I access via
telnet, I've never used the PC-resident version. Ergo,
take the following with appropriate grains of salt.

The "E" (export) in Unix PINE will write an entire message
out to a text file in my home directory *on the server*
(but only one message at a time, alas). If I name the
written-out files carefully, I can then batch-retrieve them
from the host to my home PC via the mget command in ftp.

Perhaps PC PINE has a similar export feature that writes
out to your local hard disk?

Regards,
Stephen Moore
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group