downloading e-mail files

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but are any of you wizards familiar with
PINE, the free non-browser e-mail program invented by the University of
Washington and a popular option around the world on university and other
systems?

My problem: finding a simple and fast way to copy my e-mail files
(preferably whole batches) off my university server account directly into
various xywrite-for-windows (ver.4.11) subdirectories on my hard-disk.

1. I prefer to do my mail work in PINE, which is simple, fast, and free of
ponderous graphics. (It handles few attachments, which hasn't yet mattered
much to me, and does reduce virus susceptibility.)

2. I routinely save any keepers from my IN-BOX to folders under PINE.
But as I crowd the quota, I need to either delete or transfer to my own
harddisk or floppies. Since there are often dozens of related messages in
a folder, it would be really neat if I could move them out of cyberspace
onto diskspace entire folders at a time. But I'd settle for message by
message if it could be really fast.

3. At present I can only cut&paste five lines at a time directly into a
xywrite file -- anything more freeze things up and I have to shut down
XYWrite and start over.

4. I can paste a single full screen at a time into NOTEPAD, save it as
text, and open it in Xywrite, where I then peel out the undesired carriage
returns on each line using the CHA command. Effective, but tedious and
time-devouring.

5. I don't know any way -- if there is a way -- to pull the whole message
or cluster of messages into my machine and an appropriate XYWrite
subdirectory in a single step. Seems like there ought to be.

Can anybody help? I'm not very savvy on the jargon or steps on anything IK
don't use regularly, so by-the-numbers instruction would be welcome.

I've got hundreds of messages I want to sort out and archive in a hurry
from two university accounts before I retire from Egypt in August to the
Pacific Northwest and probably a gypsyish life laptopping around North
America for a while seeing friends and family.

		Thanks,    Ted Stannard

==== Prof. & Mrs. R.E.Stannard Jr. (Ted & Femmy), JMC Dept [226],
THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO, POBox 2511, Cairo 11511, EGYPT.
ph: (20-2) r.340-7917 o.357-6200 fx: 355-7565 attn JMC Dept [226]
em: stannard@xxxxxxxx	 & stannard@xxxxxxxx (thru July 2000 only)