From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Carl Distefano
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:52 AM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DIR not working right

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Wed, 28 May 2014
22:37:34 +0100

> Harry, you don't say which platform, in this instance, you're running
> Xy4 from. I had a similar problem when I ran Xy4 under VirtualBox
> using either W2K or XP as the intermediary. If it hadn't been for
> that, I would have stayed with VirtualBox. The problem doesn't exist
> under VMware. ...

I've seen this sort of flaky interaction between the Xy4 DIR command and
Windows since at least NT, maybe even Win95. I've always assumed that it's a
bug in either EDITOR.EXE or the Windows VDM, but never got annoyed enough to
try to craft an XPL-based workaround. If DIR gives me an unexpected result,
I usually just issue U2's
P1 DIR[/switch(es)] [filespec] which imports the output of the DOS
DIR command (or any DOS
commmand) into XyWrite. It's fast and error-free.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx