Re: Wildcard replace and no 64k limit

Annie wrote:
>While I agree with Harry 100 per cent about v4's great advantage over v3
>in the 64K breakthrough and the ability to use wildcards on either side
>of the delimiter in a ci, that example (not Harry's) is a ci that works
>the same in v3 and v4--except faster in v3.
Right. Annie's HTML example is the kind of thing I had in mind.
Or, something simpler that writers run into: you have numbered points in an
article (hardnumbered them: not via  ). You decide late in the game to
change 1) 2) 3) . . . to 1. 2. 3. and so on.
You have to do it by hand in Xy 3 but in Xy 4 you just do:
ci /)/./
Comes up a lot.

>Chet writes: "The wildcard replaces of version 4 are nice, but I had
>already added them to version 3.5 many years ago."
>
>How, please?!? I worked out a way to ch within a v3 defined block, but
>have never even *thought* about a v3 wildcard-on-both-sides-of-the-
>delimiter ci.

Yeah, I tried to do it in 3.5x, and found that to cover *all* possibities
was a real bear. Became too complex, and I gave up.

Regards,

     Harry Binswanger
      hb@xxxxxxxx