Re: Xydos to Quark?

Dear Ms. Davidsen,

I had an analogous problem getting Word files with certain formatting
(subscripts, superscripts, and symbols) to transfer to Quark. The
problem that I had was in Quark, as the version that I was using did not
have filters to import these features. I bought Quark 4.1 and Extensis
tools to expand its capabilities, and that solved the problem. There may
not be a filter for importing XYwrite files into Quark, although one
would think that there ought to be, given the popularity of XYwrite with
publishers just a few years ago.

When I used XYwrite heavily, some 5 years ago, I had to import files
into Ventura publisher, and there too lost formatting and symbols. The
solution then was to save the XYwrite files in Word Perfect format, and
import them directly. Note that I did not have to have Word Perfect on
my computer to do this. You might try sending your client such a "saved
as" file to see if it imports into Quark properly.

What I have suggested applies only to the PC systems that I used, and I
know nothing about MACs
(perhaps less).

Best of luck. I hope that you work it out The problem may be with your
client's version of Quark, or his/her use of it.

Cheers,

Jan C. Prager.
(freelance editor, occasional author)

Judith Davidsen wrote:

> A major client has just decided that I have to submit my
> materials in Word for Mac, since, they claim, when they send ...
begin:vcard
n:Prager;Jan C.
tel;fax:phone first
tel;home:401-789 0116
tel;work:401-789 0116
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;57 West Park Lane;Kingston;RI;02881-1798;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jcprager@xxxxxxxx
fn:Jan C. Prager
end:vcard