OT Re: Mac and Xy

I'm guessing I have more applications than you. I have 6149 plists.
I was writing from the point of view of their making life easy or difficult, say, in the context of scrubbing the machine of an application. The plists that *aren't* where I said are: inside applications (applications are really packages and you can easy open them and take a look see. If you're a space fanatic you can erase all the many many many non-English language files (if you don't need them). Of course, there's a utility that will do that for you. Buried in there are plist files. But they vanish when you delete the app (and I'm pretty sure they are static--functioning as initial values for the real plist. At least many.) Thus Adobe and Microsoft have bunches and bunches of them inside their many apps. next in line are a whole bunch of Example plists inside the Developer folder. All the rest reside under either my library or the system library. (Oh, a few under the Mail directory, 'cause Mail always has to be a little peculiar and a very very few stored in some app's folder Usually a cranky app like the Palm stuff.) I've never had any problem uninstalling stuff, either by using the program's uninstall or by deleting the app and its easy to find plists. This is way off-topic and although I much prefer Macs for my purposes (my most used programs Mail, Firefox, (both with some add-ons) and Papers) I don't have an interest in general debates over which system is best.

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU