Re: Labels and other "Panel" formats

Jim:

Your metaphor of reinventing the highway is excellent, and of course
typifies what makes us unhappy about the state of personal computing. We
all have horror stories of having perfectly good hardware become useless
because the software has changed beyond repair. And "planned obsolescence"
among cars merely makes us dissatisfied with our old car because it lacks
certain gadgets; it is, as you note about your '50 Dodge, still drivable.
(I don't know about a Model T Ford, with its weird transmission; but that's
not a current reality.)

I keep wishing there were some way to make it economically reasonable
simply to perfect and maintain what we have -- which is what this thread on
the list is all about. I think we are coming to the conclusion that there
is little future for, say, Xy3+ or Xy4 given what has happened to the
software world.

Do you suppose the business world will dig in its heels and refuse to
upgrade to Win98? Now THAT would stop the juggernaut!