Re: A wild new idea for the future of XyWrite

Wengier,

I didn't know that vDOS is of the same order of transparency as NTVDM. I have run virtual machines using Parallels (both on the Mac and in its Windows version) and they are less transparent than NTVDM. I suppose I have to give vDOS-lfn a try. The barrier here is only that my 64-bit Win7 is, for some reason, no longer working, so I'd have to re-install from the disc.

Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry,

I am wondering if you consider 32-bit Win7's NTVDM to be a virtual machine (remember that "VDM" stands for Virtual DOS Machine). If you do, then your method actually requires a virtual machine too. If you don't, then just like NTVDM, platforms like vDos-lfn are not full virtual machines either.  Rather, they are more like runtime environments, different from real virtual machines like VMware. With 64-bit Windows you can run DOS programs using platforms like vDos-lfn just like when you run DOS programs using NTVDM under 32-bit Windows.

Wengier