Re: NotaBene -- two questions

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Leslie Bialler wrote:

> "Yo Intl." wrote:
>
> > At 10:14 AM 4/10/00 -0400, Leslie Bialler wrote:
> > >NB for Windows is rock steady
> >

>> Hmm.... wish I could say that. Alas, on my Win98 system, it shows an
>> annoying tendency to crash and perform those "illegal activities"
>> (anyone else suspects that Bill Gates did not play enough cops and
>> robbers as a kid?), so that now I basically just use it as a fax
>> program. Otherwise, it is strictly the DOS box and XY3.
>
> Rene,
>

> You've mentioned these bugs and crashes before and, correct me if I am
> wrong, but I believe that most of us on the list have been unable to
> duplicate them. I suspect the problem does not lie with any errors in
> Nota Bene, or other software, but in the heart of darkness of your
> Win98 configuration.
>
> May I dare suggest that it's time to do a reinstall?

Another recent development is worth considering. Many of the "freeware"
programs some of us have tried are paid for by ads displayed when the
programs are run. And many of those programs carry a piggybacked program
to display the ads and track your browsing behavior, usually installed
without your permission or knowledge. Further, the tracking system
usually remains installed even when you uninstall the original freeware
program you tried out and decided to remove. Aureate (recently renamed
to "Radiate") is the primary offender.

These rude programs also seem to place a load on your system and often
destabilize it.

Gibson Research has developed another one of those slick program gems to
quickly test your system for the presence of Aureate/Radiate and similar
programs. Optout is a small free (no ads) download, and it scans your
system in seconds. Then, with your permission, it cleans out the junk in
a minute or so.

The grc.com website quotes a number of testimonials to the salutary
effect of this cleanup on users' systems. I gave it a try (having had a
lot of Netscape and other flaky crashes), and got rid of the junk. The
result (over the past week): immensely improved stability in my entire
system.

	http://grc.com/optout.htm

It's a quick try, and it may help your system. I don't think it does any
harm, at least.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."