Re: Xywrite antiques -Reply

Bill Troop wrote:

> >SmartWords is Ken's legal software. It uses a 32-bit XyWin as it's word
> >processing engine. It is available from TGroup.
>
> And I guess the problem is that it's not available as a simple word
> processor, apart from the legal stuff?

Right. At one point in time in the late 1990s he was going to spin off the
wordprocessor stuff and ship them to the people on the list for a nominal
sum. But he never did.

> Also, what is the relationship
> between this 32-bit XyWin engine and the current Nota Bene?

Nota Bene essentially took that 32-bit smartwords engine, added their
academic stuff, and ran with the ball. The current version is 5.5.3, and if
bugfixes are reported they will soon come out with a 5.5.4. The XyWrite part
seems to work ok. The bugs are in the academic stuff, and the people who use
it tend to whine more than somewhat.

I have posted about NB Win here many times and my comments ought to be in
the archives.

Cheers!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)