Re: Renewing XP support [was Re: W2K issues; etc.

I've heard of that extension, and will now check it out.  What I've been using for a couple years now is PDF reDirect, one of a handful of faux printer drivers (doPDF is another, but I haven't tried it) which actually writes the page to disc (along with any photos, graphs, etc.) as a PDF, instead of actually printing it.  But, before you do that, it is strongly recommended to look at a Print Preview in the browser, because with some pages only part of it actually displays for printing, which you'd otherwise discover the hard way if printing it.  If you can see everything that *should be* there in a Print Preview, this is what will be grabbed for the PDF.  If some of it does not display for some reason, more elaborate countermeasures need to be taken.

Google Chrome already has a "Save to disk as PDF" option built in, though the same 'test first' principle applies.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 6, 2014 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: Renewing XP support [was Re: W2K issues; etc.

Carl,
> I used Foxit under WXP and liked it well enough. I ran across
> Sumatra yesterday when I was Googling PDF readers for W2K, and
> almost downloaded it, but there was something about the download
> site that didn't inspire confidence. I do very much like the idea of
> a "portable" PDF reader.
I am a big fan of Foxit nowadays. I discovered Foxit when newer versions
of Acrobat Reader stopped working with my Adobe Acrobat 6 on the same
machine. By installing Foxit Reader alongside with Acrobat 6 I could
view PDFs inside my browser. By the way, the PDF reader Firefox installs
as default is crap and should in any case be replaced by a Foxit or
Adobe Reader plug-in. Foxit PhantomPDF is a more compact product and a
lot cheaper (if you own an old version of Adobe, contact Foxit sales for
competitive upgrade at half price), and works nicely enough.

Jordan,

>When I come across something that appears to have some continuing
reference value, I try to take no chances.  Either I print it out to
hardcopy, or save it to disk in HTML or as a PDF. That is a lock, if it
is detailed, technical, 'How To' type information, which may later
disappear.

If you use Firefox, install the Scrapbook add-on, this does everything
you need. You can save web pages (or a selection of a page), bookmarks,
and browse the archive you create. This is a must for documenting the
Internet. For IE, there are similar alternatives, but they lag seriously
behind.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)