RE: text to cmd line

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Mon, 12 Nov 2001
21:05:20 -0500

> I might add, those search wildcards keep me wedded to Xywrite
> because the other WPs don't seem to have them yet. What a
> great feature! I hope though, hard as it may be too
> conceptualize, that, with NotaBene, the ability to search and
> replace with wildcards could be expanded. I remember being told
> that the reason the capabilities were not greater in Sig/Xy4
> was it was too hard to figure out how to implement it without
> causing results that many users would find unexpected.

What additional wildcards did you have in mind, and what, I wonder,
were the "results that many users would find unexpected"? And who
told you about all this? Just curious....

The Jumbo U2, by the way, adds AND and NOT wildcards to Xy|NB's
Boolean OR. Command HELP SEARCH for details.

Another way to enhance your search-and-replace abilities is with a
tool that accepts regular expressions. (MiniTrue for DOS is one
such utility.) There's a learning curve, but the complementarity
with Xy's search-and-replace is significant. (So is the potential
for losing valuable data, so experiment on a COPY of that
irreplaceable file!)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx