Re: XyWrite for Windows vs XyWrite for DOS

Craig Triplett wrote:

> I've never used XyWrite for DOS, so I hope you'll bear with me. I have a
> freelance job which will entail saving redlined text in XyWrite 4.12 for
> Windows. My client wants to know whether she will be able to accept/reject
> changes to my redlined text in XyWrite for DOS.

Yes.

> Our mutual concern is that
> we will lose the redlining and the special characters when she opens the
> files in DOS mode. I don't know which version of XyWrite my client is using.

You need to find out! Ask her. If she says she doesn't know, she needs to check
the "splash screen" that comes up when she opens her version. If she still goes
"duh," tell her to go to the command line and enter the "help" command and ask
her to read off to you what she sees there. You need to know if she is using
version 3+ or 4.x for Dos.

Alas, the less able she is in supplying you with the info above, the more likely
it is she has the old Luddite 3+. If so, there could be some formatting codes
her version will not understand, such as (but not limited to) MDBR instead of
MDIT for italics. (You will have to change the modes on your end), and each mode
must be canceled out with MDNM. Viz:

You have:
I have read The New York Times today.

She will need (if using 3+)
I have read The New York Times today.
Additionally, if there are special characters in that advanced ASCII set, or whatever it's called, anyway the ones over 255, her version may bark, if it's 3+. Advanced ASCII (or whatever it's called) allows XyWin, Nota Bene, and Xy4x for DOS to make critters like i's with no dots over them, or z's with dots over them (or perhaps under them), etc. Finally, you will need to make certain all your fanci redlining stuff is turned off--all that stuff that shows who made the change, when, and what the person making the change had for lunch. You will want only ≪MDIN≫, ≪MDDN>, etc. If (hopefully) she is using 4x for DOS there will be no such issues. I hope this helps. -- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx New Address: 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax) > http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup