RE: Saving PDF File With Xywrite

Reply to note from "Brian Henderson"  Sat,
5 Feb 2005 10:58:00 -0800

> Intuitively, you'd think they were binary, but if you open one
> up you'll see they are MOSTLY plain text.

The problem, Brian, is that PDFs include binary data streams that
are likely to contain XyWrite control characters. The presence of a
single Ascii 0 or 26 or 253 or (often) 255, among others, will cause
the file to be corrupted as soon as you hit the SAve button.

Maybe control chars aren't a factor in Textpad -- but I wouldn't
trust a PDF to any text editor, IIWY. You need a hex editor, or a
PDF editor. Or, if there's a repetitive pattern to these 8,000
revisions you're making, a DEBUG script and a BATch file might be
just the ticket. But XyWrite is out of the question.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx