Re: Xy program doesn't run in NB

** Reply to message from Carl Distefano  on Thu,
13 Sep 2007 00:51:27 -0400

> Actually, there are errors in that code (could be bad decoding at my
> end).

No, you're right: 238 and 240 encoded incorrectly. But
otherwise, I see stylistic differences, and much tightening, but
no real "errors" in your old FILEINFO frame.

Anyway, the point is, your FILEINFO, new and old, works in NB
perfectly -- every time. And Harry focusing on the double "" is
just a mirage. "" means empty string. It's the DX that's the
problem. The difference in NB is that when an XPL program opens
a second window (in FILEINFO, a hidden [DXed] DIRectory window),
it is creating a second Windows HWND handle, and I think the NB
designers just haven't been able to make DX work in the simple
way that it worked under Xy4. Even in Xy4, DX-ing is a delicate
matter when more than one window is opened while DX is "on"...
I confess that I've never gotten a real clear grasp of this, but
shy away from DX when I'm opening and closing new windows --
strange things can happen.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx