Re: indices sorting

Forwarded message:
" Sender: Nota Bene List
" Comments:   Authenticated sender is
" From: Robert Lavenda
" Subject:   Re: indices
" To: Multiple recipients of list NOTABENE

	------[ From the other side of the mountain,
 The Nota bene list, comes this precaution about indexeing
	 limits to Xywrite.
	 Careful with any replies. The new Listprocessor
	 sends many replies to writer, not to list.

	 .... Reminder: only one month left on the offer
	 of printer freedom from LaserGo and their
	offer of a cheaper GoScript program.
	 For details see the
	TTG or the Notabene web pages.
	People using text viewers will find
	the Notaben pages easier.
				........... say@xxxxxxxx
					]------------------------
" > Date:     Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:30:02 GMT0BST
" > From:     "DR R.H.BELL"
" Richard Bell writes
"
"
" > Whilst the author index
" > (X7) and subject index were generated successfully, the text index
" > (X8) failed. I received an error message `Error extracting
" > index/biblio'. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I
" > have spent some time tidying up my files (ie going into expanded mode
" > and getting rid of any superfluous stuff in guillemets) and wonder if
" > I have overdone it. But on the other hand if it works for X7 and X9,
" > why not for X8?
" >
" I believe that the problem is not in an untidy file, but rather in
" too many X8 entries. NB has what has become an inncreasingly severe
" limitation--a 64K buffer for sorting. If your file has lots of index
" markers, the program will choke and give that error message. The only
" recourse at that point is to follow the instructions in the Big Black
" Book on page 606 (a reference to the Sorting chapter) and especially
" on 734, the section "Sorting in Stages." This is an annoying and
" time-consuming process and you will still have to do some hand-work
" at the end.
"
" If you break the file up into smaller files, you may be able to get
" by, following the instructions for linking index fragments on
" 604-606.
"
" Note that you may be able to get NB to index the file if you set the
" sort key length low. However, this presents serious problems if you
" have long entries that vary only after the number of letters of the
" sort key length (that is, if the sort key length is set for 4,
" anthropology and anthropologists will be considered
" duplicates by the sorter).
"
" What is particularly galling--and I speak from recent bitter
" experience--is that the rest of the indexing subsystem is quite
" superb. But a 23-chapter, 1.8M textbook was simply too much for NB to
" index except by the kludge explained in the Sorting chapter. Any
" Windows wordprocessor--XyWrite or WfW--could easily do the job, but
" it was impossible to put the files into the form required for either
" program. And, of course, XyWrite's indexing system is not as
" sophisticated. I cannor wait for the Windows version of NB.
"
" Good luck with the index!
"
" Robert Lavenda