Re: Mac and Xy

--- On Fri, 7/31/09, Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> The biggest thing in Mac's favor is that it doesn't use a
> Registry!!! There's no "installation" of any software--you
> just put a "package" from your CD or downloaded onto your
> desktop, or into your Applications folder, and run it. All
> of the files and components are in that one package (like a
> zip file). Clean and neat!
>
> --Harry

I'm quite sure it does in fact install apps, etc. It's just that
Mac has long been very good at keeping such things "under the
covers" in ways that hide the gory details -- and much of the need
for hands-on intervention -- so that the user does not normally
need to deal with them. (I have some Mac-o-philes in my family.)
The Apple camp likes to promulgate the notion that things do not
go wrong on their system. Very possibly, the track record for this
is a lot better than on the PC side. But I'm unconvinced that one
would be using a Mac for several years, and never run into issues
where it would be necessary to call in a Mac consultant.

You wrote to Peter:

> Which version of Windows do you run? And how fast is it? How fast is
> Xy on Windows on Fusion?

The general rule for emulation is that greater CPU horsepower + more
Ram (up to some point you're not likely to exceed anyway) = better
performance.

 Jordan