Xywrite on a Linux machine...

>"Patricia M. Godfrey" wrote:
>Alleluia! (whoops, shouldn't be saying that in Lent). Would this guy
>be willing, do you think, to write up what he did [to install Linux
>and various Windows emulators] and let it be posted here?

I will ask him.

However, the process probably isn't that obscure, especially for someone as comfortable with this
computer stuff as you are. The Linux distribution he installed on my machine was Debian, which is
available free on the web. Once you've got that installed on a computer it gives you a very
straightforward package management system for installing new programs such as Dosbox and Qemu.

Dosbox seems very straightforward. It runs, gives you a DOS window, you mount your DOS drives to the
hard drive letter of your choice (it gives instructions on how to do this) and you load your DOS
program. Since YOU name the pseudo hard drive letter, Xywrite instantly works. No need to
reconfigure startup.int to have the hard drive letters match.

Qemu is probably more complicated, since it acts to make Win98 run in a Linux window as if you had a
Windows 98 machine. The complications probably occur when one installs Win98 into Qemu. I'll ask my
friend if there were any tricks involved when he did this for me and report back.

I should note that I am very new to Linux, and not very facile with computer stuff. At the moment I
have the Linux box working only partly on my home network. The Linux machine can see and access
files in the shared drives on both the Win98 machine and the WinXP machine. The two Win machines can
see the shared directories on the Linux machine, but they can't access them. I am still
troubleshooting this as I learn my way through Linux.

Bob
See my books and essays at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm