Re: XyW 4.12 / Windows95 bug (printing)

Myron Gochnauer writes:

> I'm using XyW 4.12 with Windows95 and a Laserjet IIP. When I print
> using the Windows driver, the first page is fine, but the rest of the
> document comes out black-on-medium-grey. If I then start printing with
> page 2, it is okay but 3 onward in wrong.

Arrgh. So this bug rears its ugly head in Win95 as well, which I
was looking forward to try as a possible remedy for it! In my
case, the situation is somewhat different (I have the problem in
Windows 3.1 and *not* when printing but when faxing), but I'm
sure the underlying mechanism is the same. Whenever I fax
something using XyW 4.12 (it was the same with 4.11) and a fax
program such as Winfax Pro, the first page comes out fine, but
all subsequent pages come out like you describe, as
black-on-medium-grey. Needless to say, this makes the fax all but
unusable. Some time ago, there were comments on this list
indicating that others (but not everybody) have this problem,
too.
I have also heard of people having that problem when printing.
Fortunately, there is a remedy for it, two in fact, but I don't
like either much. The problem has to do with my 800x600 video driver
(the resolution I like best) and the fact that I have redefined the
Windows colors to a palette not including the bright white that
becomes XyWrite's default background (I have this color set to a
subdued gray which I find is much easier on the eyes). When I reset
Windows to the standard palette, the problem indeed goes away,
but in my opinion, this is a kludge that I'd rather not have to
resort to.

Alternatively, setting Windows to a different resolution also
provides a fix, but as I said, 800x600 is my preferred
resolution. To make things even more complicated, this seems to
happen with some video drivers but not with others. A long time
ago, Xy Tech Support said they were working on it, but I have
never heard about any results.

To return to your case, Myron, could it be that you have selected
a different screen resolution in Windows 95 than in Win 3.1, or
possibly a different color palette? And are you using a Diamond
Speedstar video card by any chance?

---------
Wolfgang Bechstein  285 Chiba-ken, Sakura-shi, Hachimandai
3-7-2 (Japan)
   Tel 81-43-461-5911        Fax
81-43-461-5910
---------