Re: file searching

None of the file indexing solutions (Spotlight on Mac, Windows search, Google) seems to be able to deal with files with unknown or improper extensions.
Actually, they all (or mostly all) do. E.g., in the Windows search, if your file is named MYFILE (with no extension) enter it as: MYFILE*.* Sometimes Windows will find it just searching for MYFILE. In other situations, I've gotten the OS to recognize these files by putting in the period but nothing following it: MYFILE. You can, BTW, make a file association in Windows for files without extensions.
The other thing that worries me, now that I have this nice new and quite snappy machine, is installing a search/indexing system that won't slow the whole thing down. Any suggestions?
Yes, definitely get LOCATE32.EXE. It updates its index when you tell it to, and that updating takes, on my system, less than a minute. Simple and clean. Freeware, donations "welcome." http://www.locate32.net Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx