RE: finding your site again and problem

----------
From: 	Bruce L. Felknor[SMTP:70721.2307@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 	Saturday, February 08, 1997 9:32 AM
To: 	jtreat
Subject: 	finding your site again and problem

     I have a diacritical problem.
     I'm running Xywrite 4.011, upgraded by degrees from II+ since
     1985, in an HP 7010 machine with Windows 95. I am using my
     original printer, a Toshiba (24-pin) P351.

     My general product is books and other writing. My present book,
     due May 15, requires the familiar German and French characters
     with umlaut, various accents, etc. It also requires footnoting.

     Ever since I "upgraded" from III+ to the present 4.011, I have
     been unable to print out any but a couple of the vowels with
     umlauts or accents, usually getting a blank space or the bare "a"
     or "e," etc.

     I also have been unable to get footnote numbers in text to print
     in superscript. (I.e., when I use MDUL nothing happens -- the FN
     number appears in line with the text.)

     Perhaps someone out there has solved the problem.

     When I first encountered it a few years ago, after repeated help
     calls tech support sent me a printer file, TOSHQUME.PRN to sub-
     stitute for the regular 3TOSH351.PRN. This did operate the
     printer but would not deliver diacritics or superscript. I can
     do this stuff in MS Word 6, but since I write in XyWrite I hate
     that wretched program and translating into it takes me forever.
     The Technology Group is simply inaccessible.

     I am delighted and grateful to u and upenn to have found your
     site. If anybody there can point me to a solution of my
     problems, I would appreciate it enormously.

     All best.

                       Bruce Felknor
                       (70721.2307@xxxxxxxx)

Dear Mr. Felknor,

I saw your posting on the UPENN Xywrite list server.

I tested your printer driver (TOSHQUME.PRN) for Super script Footnote numbers and found that it did
not work properly. I then loaded the Toshiba P351 driver available in WINDOWS 95 and made it my
Windows default printer driver. After selecting and loading the Windows driver from within Xywrite
for windows, The footnote numbers worked fine in Superscript.

As for entering ACCENTED characters: after typing the letter you want accented, click on the INSERT
menu, then ACCENTS, then on the type of accent you want. This should create the accented character.

I hope this solves your problems. If not please contact us at 410 576-2040 or E-mail us at
TECHSUPPORT@xxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

George Buschman
The Technology Group