Re: XyWrite

I also used XyWrite for SGML authoring extensively. While XyWrite can't parse
or validate the structure in SGML source files, most of the files I was working
with were simple enough and I could always toss them at SGMLS.

XyWrite really is a power tool for writers. I could get more work done using
XyWrite than many of my compatriots using the GUI w.p. breed, if only because
of batch spell checking and generally fast turnaround on every whole-doc
oriented operation.

I think that trying to turn XyWrite into another GUI w.p. was not the right
path to go on, although it must have looked like the only one available. I'm still using XyWrite
III+ and my few attempts to get subsequent releases up and running weren't worth the trouble.
Frankly, having a powerful text-based interface and no GUI heritage to maintain (as do Word, WP,
Frame et al, which has made their ventures into SGML less than successful with the SGML community),
XyWrite could really be turned into a powerful structure-based writing tool.

/chet