Re: Answer found re failure of NET USE LPT1 to redirect LPT1

Harry wrote:
Pardon my ignorance: How do you uninstall "Client for Microsoft Networks"? And what exactly is that?

That's a good question, because I have to remind myself how to find it, even now.

Doubleclick the "My Network Places" desktop icon in WinXP and after the window opens, choose "View network connections" from the "Network Tasks" panel on the left. If you don't see any panel on the left, select the Tools pulldown menu, then Folder Options. On the General tab, Tasks section, select the "Show common tasks in folders" radio button. OK it, and return to the Network Places window and proceed. You can also get here by going to Start, Settings, Network Connections, or Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections.

Your "LAN or High Speed Internet" connections section will show a Local Area Connection (a network card) and/or a Wireless Network Connection and maybe a Network Bridge (not sure how this is labeled, since my connections are not bridged).

If you rightclick on the Local Area Connection and chose Properties, the General tab, which appears first, will have a box that has the header "This connection uses the following items:" Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing are listed in the box. You highlight the desired item and click the Uninstall button below the box. You may be prompted to reboot after deleting an item, but you can delete all the items first and then reboot.

You may need to Uninstall the items from both your Local Area and Wireless connections, if you have both. I don't have both on my desktop, where I did my uninstalling, but I do know that File and Printer Sharing has to enabled separately on both on my portable. It's possible that you might have to disable these items first on one connection and then go to the second to uninstall. Items in the General tab of the Local Area Connection (and Wireless Connection) Properties can be disabled by clicking on the check box next to them to remove the check. Again, I didn't have to worry about two connections, so I don't know exactly what you'd have to do to fully uninstall the items in this sort of situation.

Once you reboot, you reinstall the items by returning to the same place (the General tab of Local Area Connection Properties) and clicking on the Install button. This brings up the "Select Network Component Type" dialog box. Highlight "Client" and click the Add button; the "Select Network Client" window pops up. Highlight the "Client for Microsoft Networks" and click OK. You have to do the same for File and Printer Sharing, starting with clicking the install button; at the Select Network Component Type dialog box, highlight "Service" and then proceed.

If you have both Local Area and Wireless connections, you may have to reinstall at both, or reinstall at one and enable at the second. (Again, a guess on my part.)

Client for Microsoft Networks enables your computer to access files and printers on another computer on a network. File and Printer sharing enables another computer to access your computer's shared resources.

I think that covers it.

Paul

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie