Re: filters

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:55:51 -0700

> My browser does not have a location window, it has an open file window. I
> copy the URL into it and the result is the same: Cannot access directory.

Um, why not write a XyWrite document called TEST.HTM and manually type a URL
"link" into it, like this:

gopher://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/11/software/xywrite

Then STore it and enter the filename in your "browser's" open file window.
Get the document onscreen, and click on the link! This WILL work.

You're forcing me to draw conclusions about the quality of your browser! But
let's face it: any browser that lacks a window into which you can manually type or
paste a URL is a total piece of you-know-what. I remember looking at an AOL
browser once and being unable to find any way to type in a URL or to write the
bloody "Favorite Places" list to a file. Get the Nauseator! Want something light?
If you have a Java machine, Hot Java's v3.0 is a huge improvement over earlier
releases (free, from Sun). Opera. Hell, there are dozens. Rafe Tennenbaum has a web
page that discusses many of the options (though I can't locate it just now).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx