Re: footnote placement

In 1988, I set up XY 3.52, then went to 3.57 (preparing for the year
2000). My defaults have never changed, pl=58,62,54 and I left the widows
and orphans alone.

I have written four books with this set up, two of which had multiple
footnotes. Occasionally there was a problem caused by the widow-orphan
default, but even when I was running multiple forms of footnotes, I was
happy.

The one problem I did encounter -- can anyone suggest why -- is that I
could not force a page break (PG) if I was less than three lines above
that on which the "normal" page break would fall.

It would print regularly, 1, 2, 3, etc., then start on my forced page
break, print three lines, say, then go to page 5, leaving most of 4 blank.

I have never figured this out, but since I rarely insert tables, or
tabular material, and don't often need a forced page break, I can live
with it.

On the other hand, if someone has a SIMPLE solution -- I don't write code,
I don't want to learn, and I refuse to give up my trusted 3.57 -- let me
know.

Ed Cray