RE: still running in Windows 10

This highlights the issue of just how much often destructive effect a
particular version of a browser can have on a system. Terrifying. Bravo
for being to trouble shoot it.

At 03/08/2015 21:25, you wrote:
Im on a ten-year-old Optiplex i5 with 8GB of RAM running the original OEM WIN7Pro. System rarely crashes. Only real trouble I had was with IE11 and FF freezing for serval minutes at the NYT WEBSITE. After a lot of troubleshooting, solved this nuisance by dropping back to IE10, then both browsers worked well. I do my due diligence every week in cleaning out files, defragging, sweeping for garbage malware and so forth. My boot times run between 35-50 seconds to screen paint. Dont want to upgrade opsys, or go to new system, in the middle of a manuscript, but (question), has anyone who has upgraded to an SSD seen an appreciable difference in performance on an aging machine?

Michael Norman

From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx; eudora="autourl"> mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Troop
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 1:45 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: still running in Windows 10

I'm curious about what sorts of bugs you found in 7. I've been running
it for a year now, and for me it just works.

Basically, a crash a week in 7, a crash every six months in 8.1

But, on the other hand, my Win 7 systems have been running much longer than a year so it could be OS fatigue. And there are countless other hardware issues that my experiences could be due to.

I am sure it is a good idea to do a clean install every six months or so, but I can never bear to do it.