Re: still running in Windows 10

John,

>You might want to try this front-end for Windows 8.1:
http://www.classicshell.net/; style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">>http://www.classicshell.net/

I have Win 10 on a virtual machine, and I might just do that when I have some free time.

>This 8.1 system boots *much* faster than my Win7 computer, despite the fact that the latter has an SSD and the former a HDD.

This is true, the boot times are quite impressive with 8 and 10. But on the other hand, I start my machine in the morning and have it perform a backup, and take my morning coffee while it is doing that. So boot time performance is not all that important.

Bill Troop wrote:
Basically, a crash a week in 7, a crash every six months in 8.1

> I am sure it is a good idea to do a clean install every six months or so, but I can never bear to do it.

That should not be. I have never had a crash, at least I do not remember one. Applications may crash, but not the operating system. As a general rule, one should remove applications that cause problems, and be picky when choosing what to install in the first place. I have not reinstalled the operating system as of yet.

Michael Norman wrote:
has anyone who has upgraded to an SSD seen an appreciable difference in performance on an aging machine

Yes, there is a difference and it affects all programs and data that are on the SSD. While Win 8 and 10 improve the boot time performance, an SSD improves the performance of all programs and everything do you all the time. You can have a top-of-line SAMSUNG SSD 850 PRO 128GB for approx. $100 with 10-year warranty, and cheaper alternatives for as little as $55.

I am running a SAMSUNG SSD 840 PRO 128GB on my HP Z400 engineering workstation which I bought second-hand for a fraction of the cost of a new similar machine and revitalized it with an SSD.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx