Re: Programming challenge: Undo

Robert,
> Maintain "trailing versions" of the current file, in a separate window (or
> separate launch of another iteration of Xy).

Interesting idea -- hadn't thought of that. But I still think
that managing this outside of the XyWrite realm gives the most
power.
Yes, I like the idea of a separate .EXE, which you came up with. That seems
like it would be fairly simple to implement. (But it always *seems* simple,
until one tries.)
There's really a lot of "thinking" that needs to go on.
XyWrite could manage it, though. There's a program in U2 called
DUO that synchronizes two separate XyWrite processes -- some of
the techniques there could be applied to do this.

I've got a working prototype and am testing it ... does up to
998 levels of UnDo|ReDo, which ought to be enough for anybody.

Gee, I was hoping for 999. :)
And is completely unobtrusive. Zero CPU consumption, and fast.
So my CHALLENGE is being met! This added functionality will go down in
XyWrite history, if it really works. Even better, my wife will have lost
her last complaint about Xy.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx