Re: Automatic indexing -Reply

The book I want to index is about 300 pages in 1-1/2 spaced
typescript, with
several footnotes per page. It is a so-called scholarly book
with a fairly
good density of ideas to index. I have Version 4, but it was my
impression
that the commands for indexing are the same in both. Am I
missing
something? Has anyone developed some kind of program to take
some of the
drudgery out of indexing manually using the commands in the
manual?

>James:
>
>How large an index, and how large the book? I did a 100 page
>cookbook in XyWrite several years ago, and had probably a half
>a dozen index entries per page (Main courses, beef, chinese,
>etc.). As I recall, III+ had a dreadful time handling the
>Version IV seemed to work better.
>
>Steve

>I am a new list member, but have been using XyWrite since III. I
am >facing
an unfamiliar task of making an index for a large book, and I
>wonder if this topic has been addressed on the list in the past.
 Can
>someone give me a date range if so, and I will retrieve the
thread.
>Otherwise, I'm looking for any hints that will make it go as
smoothly >as
possible. Thanks.

James Enterline  144 West 95th Street  1 (212) 865-9648
Voice/Fax
New York NY 10025   jenterli@xxxxxxxx