Re: I need a new desktop computer -- Recommendations?

18.4.2014 23:09, Bill Troop wrote:
Whilst on this subject, do you happen to know if it is possible run, well, Mac OS 8 to OS 9 in a virtual machine?
Check http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/. Regarding backups, it is all about recovery. First ensure that you have a way to boot the system without its normal hard disk. Testing this may be dangerous, so what you can do to avoid all mishaps is to detach your hard disk from the system and try to boot it in a recovery mode by changing BIOS settings etc. A blank hard disk and an external data source is needed if you want to be sure that it really works. For decades, my strategy has been to buy a pair of similar hard disks, one for easy online backups, and the other for running the system. Back in the DOS days, I used to XCOPY everything from disk 1 to disk 2, but with the advent of Win 95 this became unpracticable. A backup solution that makes you THINK how it is done is no good. When you need the backup, you are unable to think clearly. The solution should very simple to recover. Redo Backup and Recovery was the free program I used when experimenting with my new computer, as I did not have my usual Acronis scheduled backup setup. The basic idea is extremely simple, and it works. I restored the system many times before it was ready for prime time. http://redobackup.org/ Acronis is very helpful, if I want to restore yesterday's virtual machine contents, it is available in the context menu. Mainstream programs like Acronis and Paragon are very capable, but you must validate, check and test your backups for errors in setup. Once they are properly set up, they work reliably. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/