RE: Windows registry cleanup tools

http://www.3bsoftware.com/products/registryrepair.asp

> I've been using myself it for about two years now
> and it really does a great
> job.

Interesting product description . . . though I have
not personally run into the problems they mention in
their product pitch. (That is, so far, running W2K.
Many installs, many program uninstalls. NT-4 was a
different story, but good riddance to that.)

This still does not address what I mentioned earlier,
about identifying all the unnecessary files that can
safely be deleted, and removing them. That would be
some other product -- perhaps something akin to Norton
CleanSweep, which I used some years ago. But it was
an "as you go" rather than an after-the-fact sort of
program. It needed to monitor all your installs, in
order to do its best job. The built-in Uninstaller
for W2K or NT already provide some of this
functionality, though they are far from comprehensive.
 There is a lot of accumulated file junk that it does
not track at all.

So, I would still be interested in any good
recommendations for *safely* cleaning out the dead
wood. (Miles of Winjunk Files on the hard drive,
rather than junk inside the Registry. If the latter
is not actually causing any actual harm, its removal
is probably not urgent.)

Jordan