Re: Sig+ xpl

Annie writes:
≪ Does it [Signature: Making the Transition] happen to
explain --speaking of searches--how to effect a xyWin
newline-to-linefeed global change? If not, can you do so?
Every variation I've tried of my v3 code--xpl as well as
kbd macro--and of the Sig+ s&r options some people swoon
over has failed. ≫

It's in S:MTR, or at least the building blocks are there.
There are two methods, one using literals and one using
wildcards. Look at the Jumbo U2, a series of five frames
starting with CR210, especially that frame and one called
FROM102CR which illustrate both methods. Frame WILDCARD
gives handy access to the wildcards, and its code
effectively documents how to produce the new ones (using
func NN). (WILDCARD also produces non-native "and" [&]
and "not" [\] wildcards which are Jumbo U2 extensions.)
Frame PUTCHAR makes it easy to produce hard-to-put
characters such as the 1-byte Ascii-10 linefeed.

≪ What a surprise. Please be specific. (The code is so
obtuse I'm surprised you could deconstruct it.) ≫

I deconstructed it enough to see what you meant by "gross
code" and to see that whatever problems you were having
had nothing to do with any supposed unreliability or
"temperamental proclivities" of BX. I also noted many
excesses and inefficiencies associated with v3 XPL (and
recognize that you were porting a program developed
originally in v3). You said that you were "not
requesting remedies"; I honored your request. If there
are any specific BX statements that you believe fail
because of BX's inherent unreliability, please point them
out. If you have other questions, I'll do my best to
answer them.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx