Re: NB 8 and U2

> A U2 routine I use to change directories doesn't work in NB 8.

Which one?
A very simple one I wrote. When you hit the key that has &c loaded on it,
it does a CD to what's on the command line. I'll put it at the bottom of
this, because first I want to report on other anomalies with NB 8 (at least
on my system).
I note also that CLIPW (this is for U2 v. 117) produces in NB 8 an error
box saying: Specify filename.
Of course, I can use the regular Windows copy facility under the Edit menu.
I guess this is what I'm supposed to do: goodbye DOS!

Let me list some other anomalies--maybe this should be sent to the NB list?
First, NB 8 beta crashes a lot. I have to kill it by hand and re-launch. It repeatably crashes whenever I try to SAve or STore the .kbd file. tried having NB CAll the XyWrite .kbd file (which is slightly different from the NB .kbd I have been using) and SToring it. Same crash. Incidentally, the form of the crash is that I get the hourglass cursor which won't go away (even after 10 minutes).
After such crashes, I sometimes have trouble re-launching NB. For instance
I just tried now to re-launch NB (after killing NB via hitting the Windows
"x" box), and only got a "file error" dialogue box, that says it can't find
GDI.DLL. I don't in fact have that file on my system (I do have several
copies of IGDI.DLL, which may or may not be similar.) Now get this: after
hitting "OK" on that error box exactly 40 times, I get two new error boxes
saying the same thing:

Nota Bene
Error starting (2) Needed file not found or invalid function line
C:\NBWIN\NBEDITOR.EXE
So I now can't re-launch NB. But I'm going to reboot, and then, I'm sure it will launch. Yep, it does launch after re-booting.
Re spell checking: It seems that NB 8 doesn't use the Q1, Q2, etc.
functions that Xy does, so I removed all these from the NB .kbd file. BTW,
is there a way to have NB use my XyWrite PERS.SPL file?
Another interesting thing: when I run IDKEY.PM, it does a lot of flashing
around, for about 3 seconds, as if I'd pressed a lot of keys. Then it
settles down and works normally. This happens when I launch IDKEY.PM using
a .kbd assignment, but not when I do RUN IDKEY.PM from the command line. My
key assignment (in table=ctrlx+altx) is:

37=bx,r,u,n, ,c,:,\,x,y,\,i,d,k,e,y,.,p,m,q2

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx