Re: R: Italian Dictionary Problems Solved

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 14 Nov 1998 23:32:54 +0100

> Dear Robert,
> finally the Italian dict.spl works also under Xy4 Dos! Your suggestions
> about the memory settings (Win 95) made the difference. Many thanks.

I intend to produce a comprehensive document on making these spellers really WORK
for people who need them, both in XyWrite and in NotaBene, in OS/2 and W95, in the
next few days. It is ferociously complicated and tricky; but
I've been helped by a number of people here (who know who they are) with tips and
resurrected memories of ancient instructions -- and it's all coming together
nicely.

> It works, yes. So I verified that it (and the English version, too) has
> some minor imperfect working: it does not accept the mouse double click to
> replace the word, and, if enter key is stroked after having double clicked
> the wanted replacing word, the word is badly replaced (some letters
> missing).

You want perfection or something? And you're using a MOUSE!?! In XyWrite?
Dio mio. Try the F-keys; they work fine. (They're over on the left, right?)

Here's an odd thing: there are two different Microlytics Italian
spellers, which generate different wordlists. Presumably, these
differences represent upgrades, but that's just a guess. One was produced for
XyWrite, the other for NotaBene. Which one do you have (the filelength & date)?
And there's also the PCLEX Italian dictionary, thoroughly different again. You can
run all three of them in Xy4-DOS. Simultaneously! In the case of some languages,
e.g. German and French, there's simply no question that the PCLEX speller is vastly
superior to Microlytics (German is 2.5 million bytes!), and moreover those two
PCLEX spellers incorporate thesaurii -- something which, in the Microlytics orbit,
exists only for U.S. English, to best of my knowledge. I've written replacement
frames for both the PCLEX dictionary and the PCLEX thesaurus, which are more
friendly than the factory versions (the thesaurus frame is head and shoulders
superior). Eventually it will come together.

Glad you got it going.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx