Re: My Acronis experience - dual boot, more free backup programs

Dual-booting has become more difficult with Win7. I would prefer not to
dual-boot at all. Use virtualization instead. You can virtualize
everything you need using Win7 (XP mode, or other third-party solutions,
Linux, even DOS, etc.).

You can dual-boot, but with the advent of Win7, using Linux GRUB, which
worked well in a XP setup, it is more difficult. GRUB and Win7
bootmanager do not like each other.

There are basically two working options, either Win7 boot manager:

An excellent introduction on the subject can be found here:
http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/multiboot_bootmanager.html

Or MasterBooter:
MasterBooter can do it, I have tried it with Win7 and XP (hiding C:
system and boot partions and using a common D: data disk), but as it
messes with your MBR, it must be used with extreme caution, and many
precautions are necessary. You must know what you doing before
proceeding. This is not for the casual user. See:

http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/multiboot.html

If you know some Italian, check also:
http://www.megalab.it/4115/dual-boot-installare-windows-xp-vista-e-windows-7-sullo-stesso-pc-nel-modo-corretto
Downloadable ISO file there.

Purchase a copy:
http://www.masterbooter.com/main/news.php?lang=en

>I'll look into this, but if it is a cloud-based solution . . . well, I
have close to zero faith in that sort of thing. Carbonite and its ilk
-- you can keep it ! If it's not local and under my exclusive control,
I'm not interested.

REDO backup & recovery might be for you. You are entirely in control, it
is not installed on your disk, works from CD, and does a good job
restoring a system. When you have an operating system up and running, do
a first backup and you will have an easy operating system recovery
without reinstalling. You will need other complementary solutions for
backing up individual files, but that can be something much simpler,
like Freebyte Backup: http://www.freebyte.com/fbbackup/

More free backup solutions:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-backup-software-11-programs-we-recommend-1137924

Best regards,