RE: My Acronis experience

Jordon,

There are two general complaints with cloud-based backup – first that if you are backing up a lot of data every day, it can be slow, even though the better services insist it does not degrade performance – i.e. you can work while it’s sending your files to its servers. Second caution is the companies themselves: are they financially sound and will be around for a while or will they fold and leave you searching for another cloud to store your data. The one I used is used by major institutions. Also it’ will tailor the backup scheme to suit your needs; i.e. I wanted full-metal backup, or an exact duplicate, of the data files on my HD, a mirror of my HD. And as I said, I don’t rely on the cloud. I have an NAS, essentially a mirrored raid array, and a tough little 500GB G-Tech external HD as my third and final fail-safe. Images can be reliable too, but I see them more as a disaster recovery tool to restore a system. I’ve used WIN7 system restore consistently and have not had major problems from any crash or BSOD, which I usually case myself mucking with the registry. BTW, I’ve discovered that WIN sys restore seems to work much more seamlessly when you invoke it from a windows repair prompt. YMMV of course.

Michael Norman

From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of J R FOX
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 12:13 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: My Acronis experience

I'll look into this, but if it is a cloud-based solution . . .  well, I have close to zero faith in that sort of thing.  Carbonite and its ilk -- you can keep it !  If it's not local and under my exclusive control, I'm not interested.  (That's a funny / peculiar contradiction, coming from someone who has relied on Webmail for years, I realize.  But backup is more critical than email.)

   Jordan

Hi Kari I have been burnt by Acronis many times. On Ed Mendelson''s sage advice I switched to Shadow Protect years ago. It is the only backup program that has ever worked as it should. It would be a bargain at three times the price. Try it; you're worth it! B