From: Raphael
To: xywrite
Sent: Tue, Jul 23, 2013 10:30 pm
Subject: Re: XY on a smartphone?

Theoretically it will be possible Ubuntu on a smartphone before
the end of next year.

Moreover, if things go according to Canonical's roadmap, that
Ubuntu smartphone will permit connecting the device to a keyboard
and monitor and running as though it were a desktop.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/ubuntu-edge-indiegogo-campaign-for-ubuntu-touch-super-phone

A few of us Ubuntu dosemuers (dosemirs?) are apprehensive about
whether this change bodes ill for dosemu support, since it depends
on a new display driver called Mir which supposedly will emulate
the (ancient but reliable) X Windows, to whose innards dosemu is
very closely linked. On the one hand, Canonical has been
emphasizing that Mir will be 100% compatible -- however, they have
shown themselves willing to risk the ire of the Linux old guard,
and since the maintainers of dosemu are quite senior, it's
possible they wouldn't care much what direction Ubuntu goes in.
Though I'm wagering dosemu will work eventually, though probably
not in the first Mir-implemented release, some fork will work (on
the desktop at least).

   -Rafe T.