Re: My Thanks and a question

** Reply to note from Richard Giering  Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:59:52 -0600

> with one exception, it works
> properly. I'm extremely grateful. In reviewing
> the program and comparing it to my original, I
> found a bug which I have corrected: The Command
> to change CI /%2f/// obviously doesn't work. It
> is now CI .%2f./.

That was in YOUR original! Look, there are limits to what I'm willing to do for
you; I paid zero attention to the work
you're actually performing here, except for those 3-byte 10s, which are guaranteed
to cause trouble and fairly leap off the screen.

Personally, I never use "/" as
the separator in CHanges; I use, either, impossible 3-byte characters, or else
highly unlikely chars such as Ascii-252 -- precisely to avoid the sort of problem
YOU generated here.

> The one area that I yet don't understand is the
> command "CI /%od%oa// where the
> carriage return is actually the CTRL Return (with
> scroll on). The command using the BC and CH
> version properly converts the %0d%0a to a proper
> return code while the BX CI combination converts
> to the "CTRL Ret" code. Apparently the CI or BX
> works somewhat differently that does the BC and
> CH. Do you have any suggestions?

OK, I didn't see that. Here's the fix: DeFine one of those red arrows up above in
your new program (red if you're using Xy4-DOS -- it's the char used where I
convert two s into one ), and put it down there *in place of* the "CTRL
Ret" character (actually a 3-byte Ascii-10). That will fix it.

> Any idea, also about where I might find
> documentation on the commands like CI that are not
> listed anywhere else?

I don't know why Change_Invisible isn't documented. It's been present for a long
long time. Change it back to CH if you prefer; the difference is that instead of
moving the screen to each instance of change, and displaying the change, and then
finally returning to the starting position, it just stays where it is (starting
position) and performs the changes invisibly. So it is faster, especially with
slow computers/video cards.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx