Re: Live up to Xy

" Let's live up to our exalted role as users of "the writer's tool": Xywrite.
"
" Why deprive your fellow list-readers of the actual meaning of your neat-o
" ideas?
"
	Huh? Jet lag (19 hours in the tin tube and multiple
	time zones, a change from two seasons and lack of
	any sleep for 56 hours) don't make for coherence.
	Oz coffee is so dehydrating that my brain is still
	rattling around or was it being hit on the head by
	a Number Seven boomerrang?

	More green tea, waiter!

" E.g., couldn't the following be communicated a teensy bit more objectively?
" Because it sounds interesting.
"
"       Myself, for projects, I'll run the default
" 	spellchecker against a typical text and use
" 	the resultant exception file as part of the
" 	PROJ1.spl for correcting or auto-correcting
" 	that document.
		Take a text, chapter one of a book
		for example. Use the XY command
		SPELL Filename,d:\newfile
		which creates an file of words called
		newfile of words in that filename-chapter not
		found in the Microlytics speller.
		It comes as a list, one word to a line.
		Correct the list, make up abbreviations for
		long words or phrases you'll be typing such
		as names etc.
		Add the
			;SPL; to the top of the file,
		SAve the file as PROJ1.SPL

		Rid yourself of the speller using the
		memory function ME (or not if you want both
		Microlytics and your new spell list)

		LOad PROJ1.SPL
		and away it goes, a narrow vocabulary for
		that document of "pre-corrected" words.

"
" 	unwantedword gobbledegook
" 	is another option to flag "bad" words.
"
		Are certain words troubling? Do you
		forget and use jargon too often.
		The replacement function of autocorrect
		can zap your favourite (or unfavoured)
		jargon and put a mark like "bad(alt+shift+13)writer"
		in its place in your PERS.SPL as in :
		Bad-word good-word
		bad-words better-word

" 	Some titles are entered as abbreviations
" 	and then automatically substituted in bold
" 	by putting the guillemets around the
" 	expanding title with the format and full title.
"
"
	example
	aer .MDBO/American Economic Review.MDNM/
	Where (and it doesn't show in this clip) aer
	is autoexpanded to American Economic Review in
	bold.
	You have to write in the Expanded mode and put
	in the ALT+SHIFT 245 246 guillemets and put
	ALT+SHIFT+13 as spaces between the words in your
	PERS.SPL file but it does allow, to a limit of
	78 characters in my experience, a long set of
	substitution characters.

"
" Harry Binswanger
" hb@xxxxxxxx