Re: Laptop visibility problem on DELL Inspiron

** Reply to message from "Jay McNally"  on Sat, 18 Dec
2004 00:04:39 -0500

Jay:

> I gather xy just doesn't work on xp?

Nonsense

>> If you are running XP, my impression from the forum messages
>> is that it is going to be easier to dump XP than anything else.

"Flash" (or whowhatever) is not reading this forum very carefully. Or at all.
Rubbish. Jay, I don't know why you're having this problem, but the source lies
most probably in some element of your configuration, so what you want to do is
this -- this is **super basic** fundamental Ring 0 debugging procedure, applies
to *everybody/all the time*, and avoids yet another message about this (+
replies) to the list...

In fact, I'm not going to repeat it for the umpteenth time. I went through
this meticulously just a month ago with another user. Read this message:

 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2004/msg01387.htm

The lady I was addressing had a bad keyboard plug (caused screen flicker, if I
recall correctly), while you have a different problem; but the debugging
principle is exactly the same. Start reading at the third paragraph: "REName
STARTUP.INT to something else, e.g...."

Here's the bottom line: if, when you first begin this procedure, with no
STARTUP.INT loaded, you STILL can't see your screen, then stop right there and
get back to us. You've got a non-XyWrite problem (which also does not imply
that "xy just doesn't work on xp" -- in fact XyWrite does work with XP, I run
it on a Dell Inspiron, runs OK). (BTW, can you see a DOS Prompt screen?)

If however you *can* see your screen, it doesn't black out, and you can cursor
around -- I'll bet this is the case -- then pursue the procedure in that
message until you isolate the instructions (or rather the line in STARTUP.INT
containing the instructions) that are causing your problem.

If you isolate the line but don't know what to do with it, or how to fix it,
then get back to us with that information. Attach the file that the line
references, if there's a file referenced (loaded) on/by that line.

Good luck.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx