Re: DreamWords [was: pipe dreams]

On 11/13/98 at 01:02 PM,
  "Harrison, Shawn"  said (in so many
words):

<- Leslie Bialler said:
<- ≪it seems to me that devising a word processor that
<- emulates XyWrite when we already have XyWrite reminds me very much of
<- the Borges story in which a cartographer attempts to draw a map of his
<- region on a scale of 1:1.≫

Actually, this conceptual joke goes back to Lewis Carroll's little read
*Sylvie & Bruno*, wherein is mentioned a 1:1 map of England; it being
awkward to unfold they used the country itself and it proved nearly as
good. It is actually a fairly deep joke about representation.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

It is not the horse that draws the cart, but the oats.
	--Russian proverb
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103