Discretionary Hyphen-again

Carl wrote: "once you've set DH to a given 1-byte character, the keypad
method (Ctrl+Alt+1,2,7, or whatever) will only produce the printable
(3-byte) version of that character, not the DH control character. "
Aha! Mystery solved. And indeed, after I shut down for the night, I
suddenly thought, "Gee, maybe this is that one-byte- two-byte, three-byte
thing again." But I hadn't time to experiment today. Many thanks, Carl;
sorry I forgot this, but I'm quite frazzled with this wretched
multifunction mess.
Jordan, I guess I wasn't clear: it was my e-mail app that wouldn't
produce the character. I was producing it OK in Xy, but, as Carl points
out, it was the wrong char.
Patricia